[Enigmail] enigmail won't let me encrypt messages anymore

Jogi Hofmüller jogi at mur.at
Wed Jan 21 11:10:28 CET 2015

Hi all,

I was informed that the description in my last email was not verbose
enough to reproduce the problem.  So here is more (hopefully useful) info.

The original problem occurs when enigmail attempts to list all keys on
my key ring.  It obviously uses this command line:

/usr/bin/gpg2 --charset utf-8 --display-charset utf-8 --batch --no-tty
--status-fd 2 --with-fingerprint --fixed-list-mode --with-colons --list-keys

Running this in a terminal produces the following output on stderr
(stdout is redirected to /dev/null):

prompt ~ % /usr/bin/gpg2 --charset utf-8 --display-charset utf-8 --batch
--no-tty --status-fd 2 --with-fingerprint --fixed-list-mode
--with-colons --list-keys > /dev/null
gpg: Oops: keyid_from_fingerprint: no pubkey
gpg: Note: signatures using the MD5 algorithm are rejected
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED
2 prompt ~ %

The 2 above indicates the return value of gpg2.

Doing the same using gpg instead of gpg2 I get the following:

prompt ~ % /usr/bin/gpg --charset utf-8 --display-charset utf-8 --batch
--no-tty --status-fd 2 --with-fingerprint --fixed-list-mode
--with-colons --list-keys > /dev/null
[GNUPG:] KEYEXPIRED XXXXXXXXXX
[GNUPG:] SIGEXPIRED deprecated-use-keyexpired-instead
[...]
prompt ~ %

I replaced the numbers following KEYEXPIRED with XXXXXXXXXX.

Both variants produce a list of keys that I don't want to publish ;)
The output differs in two ways:

* wherever gpg marks a pub key escaESCA gpg2 will mark it esca
* the fingerprint for a key marked esca in gpg2 will be all 0.  Keys of
this form are all old (from the 1990ies) and use MD5 hashes ...

When I was referring to the 'not visible' error I meant that the two
lines starting with Oops:  are printed before the listing of all the
keys ...

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,
--
J.Hofmüller

Im Übrigen bin ich der Meinung, das Joanneum muss zerschlagen werden! -
Barbara Fischer