[Enigmail] Enigmail v1.8 Beta 1

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Sun Mar 1 22:07:59 CET 2015

Hi Patrick :

On 26/02/15 18:36, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> I have created the first *beta* release of Enigmail v1.8. It contains
> many changes to the user interface, especially message composition,
> and quite a lot of bugs were fixed.
>
> I would appreciate to get as many bugs reported as possible such that
> we will have a stable release.

I've found a glitch in enigmail 1.8beta  connected with "sender's key" options.

If the mail has been signed, you have 3 ways to be offered some options for the
sender's key :

1. from the 'Details' button in the message header
2. from the menu bar Enigmail/ Sender's key/
3. from the strange little icon (3 small horizontal bars) on the right hand end
of Thunderbird's Mail Toolbar.

It is this latter which gives most often defective options.

If there is no PhotoID with the key concerned, the PhotoID option is not greyed
out, clicking it does however provide the message that no such id is available.

If the message has not been signed at all, the Details button of course is not
present and the other two ways still provide a range of options.

The menu bar Enigmail/Senders key/ provides four options not greyed out (only
the photoID is greyed out).  Whether any response is received from clicking on
any of these items depends on whether the message is 'stand-alone' or a reply
within a thread.  If within a thread, clicking on 'View key properties' can
produce the details of a key from another thread message higher up in the chain
(even though there appears no quote from that message).

The 'funny icon' /Enigmail/Sender's key/ provides all five options (not greyed
out).  Some do nothing, some attempt an action on a key higher up in the chain,
the photoID option may show an image from higher up or do nothing.

The most common of these is the offer to check a non-existant photoid in the
senders key options from the message toolbar icon.  The other incoherent
offerings seem to be connected with unsigned messages inside a thread containing
some signed messages.  You can find instances in this thread.

Best regards,

Philip