[Enigmail] More bug reports

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net

On 04.03.15 16:55, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Compose a new message.  Enigmail -> Attach Public Key.  Why does
> this window's confirmation button say "Send" instead of "Attach"?
>
> Clicking the "Attach my public key" button should attach a key to
> the message immediately, rather than attaching it on send.  If a
> file is attached, users expect to see it in the Compose window's
> attachments area.  "Attach my public key" doesn't, and it confuses
> some users.

The problem is that "Attach my public key" is a status, not an action.
You can set it to "on" by default for some identities and "off" for
others, in which case the toolbar icon and the menu item correctly
reflect the defaults.

Furthermore, if you have different keys for different identities,
attaching would become a nightmare in terms of removing and
re-attaching the correct key. It's nearly impossible to reflect this
properly. That's the main reason for me why in v1.8 "Attach my public
key" is a well visible toolbar button.

> "Convenient encryption settings", plus defaulting to no
> confirmation before sending an unencrypted message, is problematic
> for some users. They think they've set the wizard up to always
> encrypt, but instead it's silently sending unencrypted without any
> warning.  It would be nice if the first time you sent a message
> unencrypted a message box could pop up, saying "You are sending
> unencrypted email.  If this is not what you want, click Cancel and
> adjust your settings."  It would only need to be a one-time warning
> -- just something to give users one last chance to recognize, "oh,
> man, I messed up the configuration."

Good point, but unfortunately too late for v1.8 (strings frozen).

> There's been some murmuring about PGP/MIME being nice.  Of the
> people who've spoken to me, about 60% would prefer it as the
> default, while 40% think inline is the better choice.  (By this I
> mean a total of five people have voiced an opinion, three for
> PGP/MIME and two for inline. Beware of trusting these numbers, as
> they're based on a very small sample.)

5 is not really a lot... I have created a survey with SurveyMonkey to
finally get an answer on this (see separate mail).

- -Patrick