[Enigmail] From Circumvention

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 01:23:58 CET 2015

On 3/6/2015 3:37 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 03/06/15 15:16, David wrote:
>> I am confused by this request. What difference does it make if
>> 'someone else' knows whose public is on your public keyring?
>
> If they know whose public keys are on your keyring, they know who you
> talk to.  You may not wish them to know this.  Depending on who you
> are and who you talk to, their knowing it could be very dangerous to you.

You are aware that the *body* of the message is encrypted but the
*header*, the email address you send to and the email address that you
send from, and the complete path of all the email servers that the
emails traveled though, is still open to the world? And that those
emails are stored on all of those servers. Or at least they used to be
stored.

Which means that the whole world 'knows' just who you send emails to and
receive emails from? You are using Thunderbird on a Linux OS.

Select an email that you have sent to your friends, or one that they
have sent to you, or anyone, and press Ctrl-U to open a new window of
information. read carefully and closely.

So if some admin of a key-server in some place 'knows' who you is on
your Public-Keyring for email it is of little importance.
--

  David