[Enigmail] Translations for Enigmail v1.8

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Tue Mar 10 08:45:44 CET 2015

On 09.03.15 22:28, Philip Jackson wrote:
> Hi Patrick :
>
> On 07/03/15 19:13, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>> Most of the translations for Enigmail v1.8 are still very
>> incomplete.
>
>> Please help improving the translations on
>> http://beta.babelzilla.org/projects/p/Enigmail/
>
> I've done a bit on the enigmail fr transalation and I have a
> question about the babelzilla site.
>
> At the top of the fr page, towards the right, there is a button
> 'installXPI' I don't want to install something without being clear
> what I'm getting.

The button is there by default, but it's meant for Firefox, where it
allows you to install the package including your new translation.

> Is this the xpi for the enigmail plugin with fr localisation ?

possibly yes.

> If so, what version of enigmail is it : 1.7 or 1.8beta or latest
> nightly ?

I assume it will be 1.8 beta1 (the one I uploaded).

> I'm generally running a system in EN, with Thunderbird in EN and
> enigmail in EN. I don't remember having any choice of language
> after the operating system language choice was made.  So now a
> stupid question.
>
> To get french localisation messages to appear live in enigmail, do
> I have to re-install enigmail or do I have to go right back to os
> language choice ?

I'd recommend you install the addon Quick Locale Switcher. It will add
a menu entry to the "Tools" menu allowing you to switch the language
to FR. If you install the translated XPI, this will make Enigmail
appear in FR, even if Thunderbird is EN. You can also install
Thunderbird in French, or install the French locale for Thunderbird
(as XPI), available from the link below.

The link points to the Windows language packs, if you're on Linux or
OS X just replace win32 appropriately.

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/31.5.0/win32/xpi/>

- -Patrick