[Enigmail] spontaneous change of message status

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Fri Mar 13 15:45:55 CET 2015

On 13/03/15 08:28, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> On 12.03.15 20:38, Philip Jackson wrote:
>> Using Thunderbird 31.5.0 with Enigmail version 1.8a1pre
>> (20150312-0013) on linux.
>
>> <snip>
>
>> For this spontaneous change to occur, one needs these factors to
>> exist :
>
>> 1. the 'To' field is in red type (with a red cursor)
>> 2. the 'To' field must be completed and not left blank
>> 3. the spontaneous change in message status occurs around five or six minutes into the
>> creation of the email - the body can be blank or partly filled.
>
> Could it be triggered by auto-saving a draft message?

Thanks Patrick - you're spot on !  After all the years of using it, I didn't
even know Thunderbird did periodic backups.  I've never seen a backup directory
in the file system nor in the profiles.  However, it was doing a backup every 5
minutes.

Further testing shows pretty well that the automatic backup is linked with a
change in the settings in the "Enigmail Encryption and Settings" dialog box.
Prior to the backup interval, only the sign check box was ticked.  After the
backup interval, the encrypt box was ticked and the sign box was blank.

I was rather inexact in the original description above.  Only the different
check box is ticked.  The change in the displayed message status and the icons
on the enigmail toolbar doesn't happen until I click 'ok'.

>> What I don't understand is why sometimes I get a red cursor/ text
>> in the 'To' field and sometimes black.  I can provoke a red address
>> field entry by making any address incomplete but my address for
>> enigmail-users seems correct and complete.
>
> That's Thunderbird behavior - nothing Enigmail influences and nothing
> Enigmail could do to improve it.

True.  But I still don't understand why sometimes Thunderbird considers the To
address broken.  The emails always arrive at destination ok.  And it is not
consistent for any given address.

>> But I do consider that a spontaneous change to established message
>> conditions should not occur.
>
> Agreed

The change induced by Thunderbird seems to be one way only : sign -> encrypt. It
doesn't reverse itself back to 'sign only' after a further backup period. But if
you reset to 'sign only', after another backup period, it flips again to encrypt.

In the meantime, I've disabled the auto backup.

Philip