[Enigmail] running test suites -- thunderbird -jsunit ?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Mar 18 01:07:49 CET 2015

hi enigmail folks--

I see that there are now test suites in the enigmail source!

I'm interested in running them on the debian buildd infrastructure (many
different platforms) to see if they can catch any issues.

I don't see any suggestions on how to run the tests effectively, though,
or what the risks of misbehaving tests might be.

i note that ./configure has an option for --with-tb-path, and the tests
appear to be disabled if that argument isn't supplied.

The tests also depend on a -jsunit argument for thunderbird, which my
copy of icedove doesn't seem to have available.  Do i need some special
build or version of icedove (or some additional extension) to make sure
these tests can be run?

Presumably i'd want to set up a temporary profile to run these tests
during the package build so that it doesn't interfere with any other
profile activity.  I'm happy to supply patches to make that the default
if i can figure out how to make that happen for me :)

If there are runtime tests that you'd like to see for enigmail as well
(i.e. things that can only happen after enigmail is fully installed on a
system, which is *not* the case during a typical package build), i can
make that happen too, as long as i can figure out how to run the tests.

      --dkg

PS 1.8 is now present in debian experimental!

 https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=enigmail&ver=2%3A1.8-1&suite=experimental