[Enigmail] New 1.8 toolbar on the composition window

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Wed Mar 18 02:43:25 CET 2015

I just installed 1.8, and I'm seeing the attached ... is this intended?
I have a lot of concerns ...

Were the buttons for encrypt and sign moved up to their own toolbar
instead of the old icons at the bottom because the latter was too
subtle? Would it not make more sense to put them in as default buttons
on the Composition toolbar? Also the icons used seem very fuzzy to me.

The "Attach My Public Key" button is almost certainly a bad idea, as it
will cause new users to think that this is an action that should be done
frequently, rather than rarely.

And given that most of my messages are unsigned and unencrypted I find
the big red message to be ... offputting to say the least. Do we really
want to encourage routine signing?

I realize that the release is already cut, and that I did not
participate in the betas due to lack of time. But given that the new
release won't be available on the addons site for a couple of weeks
perhaps it is not too late to reconsider some of these new additions?

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not