[Enigmail] New 1.8 toolbar on the composition window

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Mar 18 04:00:40 CET 2015

On Tue 2015-03-17 22:51:18 -0400, Ian Mann wrote:
> I have used the beta, and participated in nightly, and 1.8 is perfect to me. I like it just how it is.

I also think the message composition toolbar is a great usability
improvement.  Thanks for all the hard work that went into making
something that looks this simple :)

> On 18/03/15 12:43, Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>> Were the buttons for encrypt and sign moved up to their own toolbar
>> instead of the old icons at the bottom because the latter was too
>> subtle? Would it not make more sense to put them in as default
>> buttons on the Composition toolbar? Also the icons used seem very
>> fuzzy to me.

the icons at the bottom were two small for most people to notice, and it
was not clear that users could interact with them.  The toolbar is an
improvement, even at the cost of extra screen real estate.

>> The "Attach My Public Key" button is almost certainly a bad idea, as
>> it will cause new users to think that this is an action that should
>> be done frequently, rather than rarely.

This is one of the most common actions that new users *should* take,
since their correspondents don't have their key yet.  I've hesistated in
the past to ask people to send me their key because i didn't want to
have to ask them to dig in the menu.  This makes it much esier.

>> And given that most of my messages are unsigned and unencrypted I
>> find the big red message to be ... offputting to say the least. Do we
>> really want to encourage routine signing?

I see this as comparable to browsers degrading the UI for http:

  http://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/marking-http-as-non-secure

This is entirely a good thing.  The red warning will go away if you
encrypt, even if you don't sign.

If we don't want to encourage routine signing, maybe the warning could
stay red as long as it's unencrypted?  Or maybe it could be:

 "This message will be signed <red>but is not encrypted</red>" ?

     --dkg