[Enigmail] New GnuPG 2.0.27

Ludwig Hügelschäfer ludwig at enigmail.net

On 18.03.15 12:11, Bob Henson wrote:
> I just installed the new GnupG 2.0.27, via Gpg4Win 2.2.4 vanilla.
> I couldnot access the Enigmail key management window at all -
> getting the following error message:-
>
> error The spinner was indicating that it was trying to load the
> keys, but nothing happenedafter a considerable wait.
>
> I reinstalled it over itself to no avail. I re-installed 2.0.26
> via Gpg4Win 2.2.3 and all was immediately restored to full
> functioning . Not being very technical, I have no idea why this
> should be but thought it would be of interest, and that someone
> might know why? I'm not currently connected to the GPG4Win forum,
> so I can't say if it has been mentioned in there.

The deeper reason is, that GnuPG 2.0.27 errors out if it detects weak
digest algorithms. They are used on older keys, having the MD5 hash.
See the release notes for 2.0.27:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-announce/2015q1/000362.html

This behaviour prohibits loading the key list, as Enigmail respects
the exit code of GnuPG and thinks, there is a serious error and no
usable output. So, this is no bug which was introduced with Enigmail
1.8, you would certainly get the same behaviour with 1.7.2.

As a first aid, this can be fixed by the following procedure: Open
Enigmail -> Preferences. Ensure the "Advanced" tab is shown. If not,
click on "Show Expert Settings and Menues". Select the "Advanced" tab.
Put the following in the field "Additional parameters for GnuPG":

- --allow-weak-digest-algos

Click on "Ok". This restores the behaviour of GnuPG 2.0.26 in this
respect.

Enigmail should run fine again.

_Warning_: This is a first aid only! In the medium term, you should
try to migrate away from keys using the MD5 hash.

HTH

Ludwig