[Enigmail] New 1.8 toolbar on the composition window

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Mar 18 15:53:55 CET 2015

> But what percentage of overall enigmail users are they, and how
> likely are they to blindly send their key to a keyserver rather then
> blindly click a button to attach their public key?

Try turning your question around.  Consider if one of them were to ask,
"But what percentage of overall Enigmail users live in liberal Western
democracies, and how likely are they to use this 'send to keyserver'
option rather than the sensible 'attach public key' button?  Do we
really need to make it easy to send keys to the keyserver?"

The answer is, both groups are very important to us.

If you don't like the button, great.  Don't use it.  :)  But we did get
feedback from a large number of trainers at the Circumvention
conference, and I did not hear one single complaint about the 1.8 beta I
showed them with the "Attach public key" button.  (About half of them
thought it was a great idea; most of the rest thought it was a decent
idea; only two or three were indifferent, and none were hostile.)

As always, Patrick's in the driver's seat and gets to make the final
decisions on everything... but my feeling is the "Attach public key"
button is something that an important fraction of our users approve of,
and for that reason we're not going to get rid of it.  We might figure
out better ways to present it or make it fit in the UI, but we're going
to continue to make it extremely easy for users to attach public keys to
an email message.