[Enigmail] New 1.8 toolbar on the composition window

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Mar 19 15:57:22 CET 2015

> I see it as our job to keep up the fight and warn those around us
> about the dangers not locking your front door.

In the United States, the Second Amendment to our Constitution
guarantees us the right to keep and bear arms.  This often leads to me
having some interesting differences of opinion with people on all sides
of that debate.  However, in a display of strange consistency, it
mirrors my own differences of opinion with the crypto community.  :)

Some people in the United States believe that people *should* be armed,
that if you're not that you're taking unreasonable risks, that you
should get trained and make training with arms an ongoing part of your
life, that... etc.  And many other people believe this is crazy and only
the police should be armed and that only people who are up to no good
would ever want to be armed and... etc.

Me, I don't subscribe to either point of view.  I believe that people
should have the *right to choose*, not so much that people should do one
thing or the other.  Do what's right for you, be responsible about how
you do it, and don't get in the way of someone else doing what's right
for them.

My beliefs on crypto are the same.  Some of us in the community believe
everyone should be encrypting/signing everything and it's just reckless
to not do so.  The world at large believes most of us are crazy or
paranoid: after all, they've got nothing to hide, right?  And only
people up to no good would want to keep their communications secret, right?

I don't subscribe to either of those points of view, either.  I believe
people have the right to choose what's right for them, and that we
should make sure appropriate tools are available.

That's my interest.  So it doesn't bother me to see the public's
cavalier attitude towards information security -- far from it.  They
know the risks.  And if and when they choose to do something about it,
the tools will be here.

Me, I'm happy.  I don't see us as having somehow failed to persuade the
public to use crypto, because really, that was never within our power to
achieve, and I believe it's morally wrong to judge yourself harshly for
something you never had any ability to change.

But we've succeeded in getting the tools out there and keeping the tools
useful, and for that I think we all need to give ourselves a hearty pat
on the back and a cheerful high-five.  :)