[Enigmail] Enigmail - gpg-agent - TTL

Blaise Pascal roseauPensant123 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 17:55:55 CEST 2015

Patrick Brunschwig <patrick <at> enigmail.net> writes:

> On 28.03.15 15:59, Blaise Pascal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > using Linux Mint 17 / Thunderbird (24.4.0) / Enigmail 17.2 with
> > gpg2... Once deciphered, Enigmail (or gpg-agent) keeps the
> > passphrase forever in memory although I have a
> > .gnupg/gpg-agent.conf containing:
> >
> > max-cache-ttl 15 default-cache-ttl 15
>
> The ttl is in seconds ... 15 seconds seems quite short to me
>
> > I'm not sure that gpg-agent.conf is correctly read when Enigmail
> > initiates gpg-agent at the pop-up of the pinentry windows.
> >
> > HUP , killall, ..etc does not help.
> >
> > Should I try to configure gpg-agent manually with gpgconf ?
> >
> > Any ideas ?
>
> I wonder if gpg-agent is used at all. Many distributions are set up
> such that a different tool for caching your passphrase is used (e.g.
> gnome-keyring).
>
> -Patrick

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your quick answer.
"Gnome-keyring" is indeed the culprit.
One can find several work-around in the (often unhappy) user community and I
don't have enough time to follow the quite technical discussions.
The simplest for me is to issue a flush by:

gnome-keyring-daemon -r -d

Not elegant but it works! It might help some users...

Best regards
BP