[Enigmail] some thoughts about usability

Mike Acker mike_acker at charter.net
Sun Mar 29 18:44:49 CEST 2015

On 03/29/2015 12:14 PM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> On 29.03.15 17:53, lists at datenritter.de wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> > Enigmail 1.8.1 causes me and users I support some pain at the
> > moment.
>
> > I don't want to ignite any (probably futile) usability
> > discussions. Still I would like to suggest a few things:
>

> > 1. When you introduce a new toolbar, make sure, it's not hidden
> > after the upgrade. (You might also consider moving the two
> > important buttons to the main toolbar ans leave the rest on the
> > enigmail toolbar. IMHO it's ok to do this without asking for
> > permission.)
>
> There is no way the toolbar could be hidden after the upgrade, unless
> localstore.rdf is broken (which is a *very* old Mozilla bug, for which
> there is no workaround). You cannot even delete localstore.rdf while
> Thunderbird is started.
>
> > 2. Make the "protocol" menu entry less ambiguous. When it says
> > "protocol: inline PGP", does that mean I will use inline PGP now -
> > or only after I clicked on the entry? It's not clear because menu
> > entries are not good for toggling. (Ideas: 1. Change the text to
> > something precise like "message will be sent as..." 2. Put a
> > tickmark in front of it. 3. Probably best solution: Create a
> > submenu with all available options. No extra clicks here.)
>
> Fixed in v1.9.
I think we need to re-think this protocol question: if the user selects
either (a PGP Signature or PGP Encryption or both) and (the message is
in HTML format) then the user needs to use PGP/MIME and that should be
the automatic default.   certainly OK to have a switch to change the
message to plain-text and shift to PGP/Inline but at this point I think
most eMail messages are written in HTML.

as things stand I have to go back to the Enigmail dialog and re-select
PGP-MIME each time I want to use it.   Not Good.