[Enigmail] Encrypting and/or signing my emails fails since upgrade to 1.9.0

Darshaka Pathirana dpat at syn-net.org
Fri Feb 26 02:11:31 CET 2016

Hi,

I also stumbled over this problem today. I am running Linux Mint
Debian Edition 2 (LMDE 2) with Cinnamon Desktop Environment,
Thunderbird and the GnuPG v2.0.26.

I solved this problem by disabling the gpg-agent-part of the Gnome
keyring. It was not as trivial as I though to do so, so here are some
possible solutions I want to share with you:

Disable per user:

  % mkdir -p ~/.config/autostart
  % cp /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop ~/.config/autostart/.

Solution I:

  % echo "Hidden=true" >> ~/.config/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop

This seems to be the most generic way and should work on all desktops
supporting the Desktop Entry Specification:

[1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

Solution II:

Add "NoDisplay=false" (if it does not exists) or change NoDisplay=true
to false (if it does) in '~/.config/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop'.

As I am running Cinnamon I also had to comment out the "OnlyShowIn="
line. After that the application was listed in the "Startup
Applications" where I was able to disable the GPG Password Agent.

[2] http://askubuntu.com/a/278309/501985

Disable system wide:

Yes, you could edit the file in '/etc/xdg/autostart' and make the same
changes I stated above but I find this solution much more appealing:

  % sudo dpkg-divert --local --rename --divert /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop-disable --add /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop

To revert that change, you can run:

  % sudo dpkg-divert --rename --remove /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop

[3] https://wiki.gnupg.org/GnomeKeyring

Please be aware that you have to logout and login before the changes
take effect.

But: after disabling the GPG-agent-part of the Gnome keyring I have to
enter the password twice before the mail is signed/encrypted. I still
have no idea how to fix that.

HTH && HAND
 - Darsha