[Enigmail] Enigmail v2.0 breaks split-gpg (Qubes OS)

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Tue Mar 27 15:17:19 CEST 2018

On 27.03.18 13:50, Michael Carbone wrote:
> On 03/27/2018 06:54 AM, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>> On 27.03.18 11:50, Michael Carbone wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Enigmail v2.0 breaks split-gpg in Qubes OS.
>>>
>>> Please see user feedback:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/G2ii-BBOQgE/G5QV1w_1CQAJ
>>>
>>> Users have tried disabling autocrypt, PEP, encrypted subject lines,
>>> nothing seems to be working. Please see thread for more details.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I would see it the other way - split-gpg doesn't work
>> with Enigmail anymore.
>>
>> Enigmail is made to use GnuPG, and nothing else. As GnuPG gets more and
>> more complex, I need to directly access more and more of the gpg helper
>> tools. It's quite likely that this doesn't work properly with split-gpg
>> anymore.
>>
>> I'm happy to help the Qubes OS authors to either fix their tool, or to
>> talk with me how to change something in Enigmail. But I won't be in the
>> driver seat for this.
>
> yep totally understand. upon further investigation the bug apparently
> comes from v2.0 using the new command-line option
> '--no-auto-check-trustdb'. for those interested this is the Qubes issue
> on the topic:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3750

The command line option exists for many years in GnuPG. The only new
thing is that Enigmail tries to better control when the trustdb is
checked, such that importing keys into large keyrings are quicker. For
example, my keyring contains ca. 700 keys; importing a new key takes
several minutes without that option.

-Patrick